VICODIN SIDE EFFECTS
Vicodin (hydrocodone) (vicodin pill) is a combination of the narcotic hydrocodone and non-narcotic pain reliever acetaminophen used for the relief of moderate to moderately severe pain. Vicodin pill is available in generic form. Common side effects of Vicodin include, Back, leg, or stomach pains
- black, tarry stools
- bleeding gums
- blood in the urine or stools
- blood in vomit
- bluish lips or skin
- dark urine
- decrease in the frequency of urination
- decrease in urine volume
- difficult or troubled breathing
- difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- difficulty with swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- fever with or without chills
- general body swelling
- general feeling of tiredness or weakness
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- not breathing
- painful or difficult urination
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- severe or continuing stomach pain
- skin rash, hives, or itching
- sore throat
- sore tongue
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- tightness in the chest
- unable to speak
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- upper right abdominal or stomach pain
- yellow eyes and skin
Tell your doctor if you have serious side effects of Vicodin including shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, fainting, confusion, fear, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizures (convulsions), upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice).
Our Vicodin Side Effects Drug Center provides a comprehensive view of available drug information on the potential side effects when taking this medication.
This is not a complete list of vicodin pill side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get EMERGENCY help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking VICODIN pill:
Symptoms of overdose
- Bloody or cloudy urine
- change in consciousness
- chest pain or discomfort
- cold and clammy skin
- decreased awareness or responsiveness
- extreme drowsiness
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- increased sweating
- irregular heartbeat
- lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- loss of consciousness
- no blood pressure or pulse
- no muscle tone or movement
- not breathing
- severe sleepiness
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- stopping of heart
- sudden decrease in the amount of urine
- unpleasant breath odor
OTHER VICODIN SIDE EFFECTS
The following adverse reactions have been identified during post approval use of hydrocodone and acetaminophen tablets. Because these reactions are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal relationship to drug exposure.
The most frequently reported adverse reactions are light-headedness, dizziness, sedation, nausea and vomiting.
Other adverse reactions include:
Central Nervous System: Drowsiness, mental clouding, lethargy, impairment of mental and physical performance, anxiety, fear, dysphoria, psychological dependence, mood changes.
Gastrointestinal System: Constipation.
Genitourinary System: Ureteral spasm, spasm of vesical sphincters, and urinary retention.
Special Senses : Cases of hearing impairment or permanent loss have been reported predominately in patients with chronic overdose.
Dermatological: Skin rash, pruritus, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, allergic reactions.
Hematological: Thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis.
- Serotonin syndrome: Cases of serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition, have been reported during concomitant use of opioids with serotonergic drugs.
- Adrenal insufficiency: Cases of adrenal insufficiency have been reported with opioid use, more often following greater than one month of use.
- Anaphylaxis: Anaphylaxis has been reported with ingredients contained in hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen tablets.
- Androgen deficiency: Cases of androgen deficiency have occurred with chronic use of opioids [see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY].